You can say metal working is a large industry and it’s a general process to work with metals. Metal working tools are used to seize or cut metals in machines. You can treat it as an art where you can design or shape metals in specific curvature accurately. Metals are prepared to be used for distinct purposes and you can give shapes to metals according to your needs and usage.
No matter, whether you are using metals as individual parts, assemblies, even large scaled structures or wide range of jobs like vessels, bridges, engines or jewelry; metal working tools made these tasks easy for you.
Metals are dictating civilizations. Since ancient age, human lessoned themselves to use stones and metals afterwards. Use of metals changed civilizations completely. Food, clothes, communication, education, culture and all other things faced a dramatic change when human learnt to utilize metals efficiently. Civilizations at Nile (Pharaohs of Egypt), India, Israel, Maya of North America or other ancients initiated the attachment of values to precious metals like gold, silver, iron etc. Based on this trade, distributions were started and civilizations got matured. Economic, sociological, scientific, cultural, and many other activities got focused in international territory. Human gradually deviated themselves towards various uses of metals and thus metal working tools were introduced.
Beginning and advancement-
Respective people motivated themselves to metal working processes and later on, they skilled themselves on creation of metal objects, artifacts, instruments, weapons by uses of precious metals, ferrous metals with alloys. Metal workers well executed these techniques and dynamically in this field practitioners got introduced as artisans, alchemists, blacksmiths etc throughout the world. Day by day, metal objects acquired its appeal at every aspect of life. Now, people sense to gather knowledge to extract metal ores from mines and institutionally these knowledge are now a day offered through modern contents of science and technology. Metal smiths evolved and they started to play role in the society. Economies of the whole world are now enormously affected through availability of these metal smiths along with metals. Inventions of metal working tools excelled the metal working process a lot. Metal workers now achieved expertise on designing of metals through extraction of precious metals (making jewelry), constructing electronics, constructions of heavy scaled industrial and technological applications like building vessels, warships, containers, rails, air transports, weapons, spaceships, robots, automobile and vehicle construction, construction of civil engineering and many more like these.
Now, you’ll notice lathe operator machines, house builders, automobile builders, household designers and builders and other industries.
Metal working tools and processes-
Metal working went forward by smelting of several metal ores resulting special kind of metals perfect for tools and others (adornments). You’ll get many of the machine shops dealing with machine tools. Earlier, metal working processes were built upon copper and hammering technique of copper was about 4000 to 5000 BC. Then it was though that Egyptians were the pioneer of working on gold. Chemistry says that gold is the first metal required fire and it was discovered in nature though almost all metals are found in ores. Then, as tools stone hammers, stone anvil, bones, woods or sinews were used to work on metals (especially gold). So far seven metals had been introduced since ancient ages and they are iron, tin, lead, copper, mercury, silver and gold. Oxidation is crucial for metals as it indicates how it is bound tightly to the ore and iron was found to be the stronger than any others. Metal working researched more with copper and tin with heat. These were important for producing jewelry or tools. As copper was too soft to provide edges and stiffness, tin came to play role and bronze came afterwards mixing both of them. Now tools (like metal working tools, weapons or others) got edge durability and stiffness due to uses of bronze. But iron advanced more in this technique. Thus metal working tools got introduced to work.
We may have a look on metal working tools and we can classify these in some categories like forming, cutting, joining etc. Some of the tools are employed to mark out or measure metals according to their applications.
- At the first step of metalworking, metal workings need design or patterns of a work piece and before machining or manufacturing this is mandatory. For design purpose several drawing tools can be used.
- For measuring the distance of two points or poles of metals hand tools like calipers are quite useful. This tools contains a vector scale along with the usual one so that you can measure one thousandth of an inch or cm. There are variations of this tool and mechanism also varies accordingly. If the object is a larger one, then simple tape measurement can be taken.
Now, some other metal working tools are there to cut or shape metals using several machines.
- Insert cutters- this type of tools are being used with Computer Numerical Control (CNC) machine or manual lathe machines to cut or give a shape to the outer edge diameter of different metals like brass or steel. Depending on the material it may be of different types. To forbid chip buildup chips have to come off of parts in such ways. Various materials need specific chip breaks. Insert cutters have usually two or more than two sides which can be exploited prior to recycling or stop using.
- End mills- these tools are used to cut and putting shape of the metal on either CNC or lathe machines. Like as a drill machine these ones consist of flutes which rotate at a certain speed (rpm). They are not rigorously used on cutting harder metals like steel, iron etc. Rather they are often used to cut soft metals like brass or aluminium. End mills are built with steel, cobalt and carbide.
- Drill bits- For cutting holes in metals drill bits are utilized. Certain RPM at which it rotates is based on the material along with the size it uses. Common ones are built with speedy steels are used to cut soft metals.
- Boring bars- often used on CNC or lathe machines and are quite useful at opening up of existing holes according to a specified dimension. It consists of steel or carbide shafts. Its inserts may have edges (2 or more) used prior to recycling or throwing out. Each tip is designed specifically so that you can perfectly cut the metal.
Other than these, there are small scale metal working tools like carving complex patters or designs of jewelry with a light touch and more like this. These types of tools are superior to maintain pace of work and accuracy at micro level.
- Rotary tool (handheld)- it comprises an electric motor and it rotates attachments. This is a lightweight tool and fits in the palm of the hand. Attachments are tiny and these includes sanding drums, buffing wheels, cutting wheels etc.
- Anvil – it’s one of the miniature tools of blacksmiths used for small scale metal works. These are of metals having molded blocks upon which (flat surface) you can place and shape pieces of metals and with the rounded one you can create curves.
- Drawbench – it’s a kind of flat plated metal where you can see riddled holes of certain diameter. You can lessen diameters of metal wire or pipes to a specified one drawing through these holes with a plier. You many need to pour lubricant to these holes for getting the job done.
- Dapping block and punch- these metal work tools are used for creating tiny, spherical shaped dimples into the surface of a metal. The block of this tool is a plate of metal while the punch is a kind of rod.
- Jeweler’s saw- it’s a kind of human operated cutting tool in miniature form. A blade (ultra thin saws) is suspended between the C shaped mouth and using this, you can reduce rough edges and form burrs on the metal.